Murder of couple in Kruger National Park makes UK headlines – Flapraze.buzz

Murder of couple in Kruger National Park makes UK headlines

The gruesome double murder of a retired couple from Mossel Bay while holidaying in the Kruger National Park has quickly made headlines in the United Kingdom – and around the world.

The couple, who were found murdered in the northern regions of the Kruger National Park, were not international tourists as was initially suspected, but rather a retired married couple from Mossel Bay in the Western Cape.

Ernst Marais, 71, and his wife Dina Marais, 73, were discovered on Friday, 22 May, in the Pafuri section of the park after an extensive search operation.

Failed to return to camp

According to Limpopo police, the couple had entered the Kruger National Park on Sunday, 17 May, and were last seen at the Pafuri picnic site on Wednesday morning, 20 May.

Concern grew when they failed to return to camp, prompting SANParks officials to launch a search on Thursday evening.

Their bodies were later discovered near Crooks Corner, at the intersection of the Levubu River and Limpopo River – a remote region where the borders of South Africa, Zimbabwe and Mozambique meet – by fellow tourists, who alerted park rangers.

Preliminary investigations indicate both victims sustained stab wounds to the upper body.

Police have since opened two murder cases and a hijacking investigation, as the couple’s vehicle – a green Ford Ranger double cab – remains missing.

The news made headlines in The Sun as well as the GB News website and The Tanzania Times.

Investigation ongoing

Police spokesperson Hlulani Mashaba confirmed the investigation is ongoing.

SANParks spokesperson Reynold Thakuli said authorities initially suspected the couple may have become stranded due to heavy rains and flood damage in the northern parts of the park.

“Many of the roads are still closed and we had more rain just last week. We even deployed a helicopter on Friday morning, but could not find the couple,” Thakuli said.

The Marais couple, who reportedly also owned a property at a wildlife estate in Hoedspruit, had been expected to return to Mossel Bay on Friday.

‘First incident of this nature’

Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment, Willie Aucamp described the incident as tragic and confirmed SANParks would continue cooperating with the South African Police Service investigation.

“It is the first time in the history of the Kruger National Park that an incident of this nature has been reported,” Aucamp said.

SANParks has pledged support to the family, including assistance with transport, accommodation and repatriation costs.

Police have urged anyone with information to contact Lieutenant Colonel Rodney Ndou, call Crime Stop on 08600 10111, or submit anonymous tips via the MySAPS app.

Post your condolences by clicking on the comment banner below …

About admin